What to do
The Hospital bereavement or family liaison officers will offer you emotional support and practical advice about what to do next. They will provide you with:
- The Medical Certificate for the cause of death.
- Contact details for the nearest Registry Office, so that you can register the death.
If the death is sudden or unexpected it may be referred to a coroner. Find out more about this here.
- Contact us so we can liaise with the hospital or care home to make the necessary arrangements for you.
- Register the death within 5 days, but you may contact us or come to see us beforehand if you would like to discuss the funeral arrangements. Registration is usually at the Registry Office closest to the place of death. The registration should be done by a relative or the executor of the will. Please be aware that many Registry Offices require you to make an appointment.
- Provide us with a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (Green Certificate) supplied by the Registry Office to enable us to take the deceased into our care.